jump to navigation

Kinghorn & Vickery, St. Lawrence River Diving December 16, 2008

Posted by Chris Sullivan in Dive Log.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Monday of the Labour Day weekend wasn’t a particularly nice day in Brockville.  It was also the day that Steve Irwin was killed by a Stingray on the other side of the world. In the morning, when we dived the Kinghorn for a second time, the temperature was only 18C (65F), while the water was a little warmer at 19C (67F).

I had a new buddy this time. Steve is an instructor at my local dive shop, and was not as willing to enter the wreck as Greg had been. It was good to take another look at the wreck, and I remembered to note where the lines were to get back to the boat this time. Still diving my full-length 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch wet suit with a dry suit hood, the 25 minute dive was to about the same depth (92 feet) as Saturday’s dive. The visibility was good and I got on the boat with lots of air.

I have no recollection whatsoever of the next dive on the A.E. Vickery. This is one of the reasons I’m glad I’m blogging as it’s a great memory jog for me personally. With the knowledge that I’m going to be writing up my dives in this blog, I’ve been taking much better notes in my log book. It’s  also behind one my upcoming New Year’s Resolutions (I’ll list them all on New Year’s Day) which is to plan my wreck diving better. I’ve been a little bit better this year, but in 2009 I’m going to dive prepared and with a plan, based on diagrams which are usually readily available from some on-line source or other, and make more detailed notes on what I see and where I take photographs.

So all I can say is that the weather had warmed up to 20C (68F), and our maximum depth was 105 feet (yes, a reverse profile – apparently they’re not as bad as they’re made out to be), the visibility was worse than usual at maximum 20 feet, and we were out of the water by noon, which is pretty good as we had gone over to the American side of the river for that dive. After returning to Canada and checking into customs by radio right at the dock of our motel, I collected my bored wife and travelled the 4 hours back home in the midst of the long weekend traffic.



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: